Pregnancy is one of the most memorable times in a mother’s life. From caring for their baby to finally meeting their child at birth, it can all be a very rewarding experience. But although these moments are amazing, there can be a lot of pain and discomfort involved. And while a mother can experience pain in numerous areas of her body, discomfort is most common in the pelvic region. This is called pelvic girdle pain (PGP).
What is Pelvic Girdle Pain?
This is an umbrella term used for all pelvic pain and includes pain from the lumbar spine all the way down to the front or back of the thighs. This pain is very common during pregnancy and it can range from a mild ache to a severe pain that interferes with daily activities. This pain can happen during any time of pregnancy, during labor, or even after delivery.
How is it Caused?
The evidence behind how PGP is caused is somewhat unclear, but studies show there are some factors that might put women at a higher risk of developing pain. Take a look at these risk factors below:
- History of low back pain
- History of pelvic joint pain
- Past trauma In the pelvic region
- Poor muscle function in the back
- Poor muscle function in pelvic region
Symptoms of pelvic girdle pain
Not sure if you or someone you know is experiencing pelvic girdle pain? Take a look at the common symptoms to look out for:
- Pain when climbing stairs
- Clicking or grinding sound in pelvic region
- Discomfort while laying down in some positions
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Discomfort during daily activities
- Difficulty walking
If you’re experiencing any symptoms listed above, then it’s best to consult with your doctor or seek physical therapy solutions that specialize in this condition.
Physical Therapy Can Help
So how is this type of pain treated? While some treatment options include more resting and avoiding certain activities, physical therapy has been seen to provide many lasting benefits. And luckily, we’re a leading physical therapy practice that specializes in treating this condition. Our Prenatal and Postpartum Rehabilitation Program aims to help those who are pregnant or those who have recently had a vaginal or c-section delivery. Our goals of the program include:
- Reducing pain
- Improving musculoskeletal function
- Creating personalized exercise programs
- Promoting strength and endurance for delivery
- Addressing infant-care body mechanics
- Educating mothers on recovery after delivery
- Educating mothers on breastfeeding tips
Carolina Prime PT helps mothers make it through these painful and stressful times and return to a healthy and active lifestyle. Our skilled and experienced team can help you find a solution to pain, discomfort, and issues that occur while you are pregnant or just delivered your baby. Request an appointment today to learn more about our services!